4K…What is it? AND why is it so important?
Many people are saying, “I will never use 4K for my videos,” or “My clients will never ask for 4K.”
Here is the thing. Even though 4K is four times the resolution of 1080P, it offers you so many options. Here is what it can do for you:
- The ability to zoom in postproduction WITHOUT losing resolution when downgrading to 1080P
- Crisper and vivid colors during play back on a high quality monitor
- Most 4K cameras have better dynamic range (if you don’t know what that is, I will talk about it in another newsletter).
- The ability to future proof your work (5-10 years from now we will see a lot more 4K TVs and monitors)
- Charge your clients a premium for higher quality/resolution videos
Even though these are great advantages, there are also some minor issues with 4K like:
- Render times are much longer
- Some computers cannot handle 4K
- 4K eats up a lot of hard disk space
If you are going to film in 4K, you better make sure that your computer(s) can handle it. Remember that 4K IS THE FUTURE!!! If you don’t have a 4K camera, I strongly suggest you purchase one, you will be surprised on how quickly that investment will pay off. Have fun shooting and I will talk to you soon.